When you owe money to a company or collections agency, it’s hard to sleep at night. You might close your eyes and hope it’ll go away. You might ignore phone calls or collections requests hoping that they will stop reaching out to you. When that doesn’t happen, you realize you are forced to work with a debt collections attorney to resolve your debt.
The situation you face can seem overwhelming at first. When you are cooperative and work with the debt collections attorneys in the right way, you can come to a faster resolution and help your case stay out of court.
Tips for Working With Debt Collections Attorneys
No doubt, this is a frustrating situation all around. However, there are things you can do to make finding a solution to your debt easier.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when working with debt collections attorneys:
- Promptly respond to any contact. Ignoring phone calls, emails, letters, or any other type of communication will not make your case disappear. Respond promptly to any contact by a company or lawyer to show that you are able and willing to work with them.
- Organize your documentation. Having all of the paperwork in hand when you talk to your lawyer and the other debt collection attorney will expedite the handling of your case. Organize documents to show what you agreed to per your contract and how you have tried to work with the company to pay back your debt.
- Be honest about how much you can pay. A debt collection attorney in Louisiana will try to work with you to come up with a reasonable payback plan before taking your case to court. Be honest and up front about how much you can afford to pay. This will make it easier and faster to reach a resolution in your case.
- Appear in court when summoned. If the court summons you, you have a legal duty to appear. Don’t ignore this duty to avoid paying back the debt you owe. Ignoring court orders will only hurt your case—never help it.
- Stay involved throughout the process. The debt you owe is yours and yours alone. Your lawyer will not have to pay back the debt if you lose your case. Stay closely involved with your lawyer throughout the process so you are knowledgeable about what’s happening in your case.
At Mordock Law Group, our debt collections attorneys in Louisiana help companies work with debtors to get payment for unpaid debt. If you are struggling to reach an agreement with a debtor, we encourage you to share this article with him.